Skip to main content

The Colors of Gino Berardi

His work has been described as an "Abruzzese rainbow that gives sensations of sweetness, melancholy, nostalgia, serenity, joy and happiness." He is a visual artist with paintings done in the styles of impressionism and abstraction and also an accomplished journalist who has written for several Italian publications.

Meet Gino Berardi. Born in Pietranico, Abruzzo in 1945, he is among Italy's most respected and talented contemporary artists. His work was recently on exhibit at our IACC. I attended the exhibit and was mesmerized by the vivid colors and classic but au courant feel to his paintings. I lost myself in the mazes of colors as I gazed at his canvases. However, being the film aficionado that I am, I naturally gravitated towards the videos of his work that were playing in the background of the gallery. They were peaceful vignettes set to music that showed the masterpieces of a modern day maestro whose work encompasses the very essence of nature and the passion of Italy. 

I recently had the pleasure of sitting down with Gino Berardi and discussing his work and inspiration.

Tell me about your career as an artist and journalist. 
My passion for painting started when I was young, while in elementary school. My teacher recognized this passion and made me draw pictures on the blackboard with colored chalk.  For years, I just painted landscapes, seascapes and still-life. Then I discovered a passion for journalism and writing. Since that discovery, I've hosted cultural programs on television and wrote culinary articles on food and wine, as I taught hospitality and tourism for more than thirty years to high school students. I've also written articles and reviews related to art, especially those in which I could feature the work of fellow artists and poets.

Where do you like to paint?  Do you stay in a studio or do you like to go outside to be in the elements of nature?
I prefer to paint in my studio. I paint outside only rarely. I take inspiration from nature and I often paint from memory.

Interviewing Gino Berardi at his exhibit in Rochester, New York
How much of yourself is in your paintings?
Everything I paint comes from things that have inspired me and from memories of my childhood spent in the countryside. I don't take inspiration from other artists because I always want to be very original.

Is there a favorite piece that you have created? If so, what makes it so special?
It's hard for me to prefer one piece to another. Each piece is like a child, and children for a father are all equal, at least it should be that way. However, I have one in particular that I'll never part with. It's called, "Risvegliio". It's a very special piece that I created after spending some time in the hospital.

Which artists and styles do you admire? 
I've always been fascinated by the impressionists. I love them. For many years, I was really inspired by French impressionists and the Florentine Macchiaioli, except that in recent years I have moved much closer to abstract art, and I have a special connection to the work of American painter, Jackson Pollock.

Your paintings were very well received when you recently presented them here in Rochester. Tell me about the time you spent here.
My experience in America and more specifically in Rochester with my exposure to the Italian American Community Center was very interesting. I was welcomed with great cordiality and sympathy, and my works were highly appreciated by the critics, the public and the press.  In short, it was a beautiful experience that will be included with the others that I have collected during my artistic life. I feel obliged to thank all those that gave me a hand and that made me feel at home, especially Mario Daniele, the Italian Honorary Vice Consul, who was responsible for bringing me to Rochester.

Beauty, of course, is in the eyes of the beholder and Berardi's art is no different. What captivates me the most about his work is his use of color -- the blues, the reds, the yellows -- as well as his pieces that represent Italy with the country's national colors of red, white and green. For more information about Gino Berardi or if you'd just like to browse through his beautiful works, visit him online at: www.ginoberardi.it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Days - 7 Women: Interview with Actress Sabrina Impacciatore

  Photo by Rossella Vetrano On Day 6 of our series, 7 Days - 7 Women, in which we are profiling seven strong, talented women working as filmmakers, writers or visual artists, we talk with actress Sabrina Impacciatore about the diversity of her roles. Whether she's playing a devoted mother trying to protect her child, Jesus Christ's "Veronica" in Mel Gibson's controversial film, "Passion of the Christ" or a young woman coming of age, Impacciatore escapes into the life and mind of each character she takes on, sometimes so deeply that she believes she is actually them.   It's a fine line between reality and fiction, but she treads it carefully and anyone watching her performance benefits from her emotional connection to the character that she becomes. I spoke with Impacciatore at the 2010 Open Roads: New Italian Film series in New York City. We talked about her lifelong dream of becoming an actress. She also gave me some insight into the diff

The Rochester Global Short Film Series

Now in its fourth year, the Rochester Global Short Film Series is a celebration of world cinema. The first edition was held in Rochester, New York in March of 2020 just before the world paused for the global pandemic.  We pride ourselves in providing a platform for the voices and perspectives of independent filmmakers. Home of Eastman Kodak and nicknamed "The World's Image Center", Rochester has a long history of supporting the performing arts. It is the birthplace of numerous renowned artists including Oscar-winning actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Oscar-nominated actor John Lithgow, Oscar-nominated actor Robert Forster, actress Kristen Wiig and soprano Renée Fleming.  Silent film star Louise Brooks spent the last years of her life in Rochester writing her memoir, “Lulu in Hollywood.” Known for her independent spirit and displeasure with pretentiousness, she is one of the influences behind the event. The other influence is Susan B. Anthony, a women's rights activist wh

Anna Foglietta: Actress and Activist with Old School Elegance

One look at actress Anna Foglietta in her any of her roles, and the Golden Age of Italian cinema comes to mind. Among Italy’s most sought-after actresses today, Foglietta brings to the table a classic eloquence of yesterday while representing Italy’s modern woman. Born in Rome in 1979, Foglietta began her career in 2005 with a role in the RAI television series La squadra . Her character Agent Anna De Luca had a two-year run on the series as she was transitioning to cinema with Paolo Virzì’s 2006 ensemble project 4-4-2- Il gioco più bello del mondo . Since then, she has become one of Italy’s most diverse actresses, transforming herself into interesting, layered characters for comedies and dramas alike. Aside from a small part in Anton Corbijn’s 2010 film The American starring George Clooney, Foglietta’s work began reaching mainstream American audiences in 2015. As Elisa in Edoardo Leo’s 2015 comedy Noi e la Giulia , Foglietta showed her funny side playing a goofball pregn

Nicoletta Braschi and Roberto Benigni.. What cinema dreams are made of

The Toronto International Film Festival is wrapping up its retrospective of the cinematic collaboration of husband and wife team, Nicoletta Braschi and Roberto Benigni. Over the last few days, the couple have participated in discussions, Q & A sessions and have introduced several of their films. Today, I attended a screening of "La voce della luna" (The voice of the moon). It was  Federico Fellini's last film and is a wonderful tribute to the director's signature poetic madness. The film gave Benigni the opportunity to team up with fellow beloved comic, Paolo Villaggio, and the two created a truly unforgettable adventure. Today's screening began with an introduction by Benigni. The moments leading up to his introduction were noticeably serious and somewhat tense. Benigni's publicist and TIFF security staunchly guarded his privacy. There was no interaction and no photos were allowed. Guided by his entourage, he walked quickly from the Green Room to th

The Comedy and Tragedy of a Neapolitan Genius

On the occasion of Italy's mega-broadcast of numerous films by its beloved, Totò, we take a look at the life and career of Napoli's comic genius. His birth name was Antonio De Curtis, but the world knows him best as Totò, the Neapolitan comedian whose distinctive face and nutty ways made him one of the most popular Italian film stars in history. Totò was born on February 15, 1898 in Rione Sanità, a poor area of Naples. As a boy, he had a passion for sports. Legend has it that a nose injury caused by a football or boxing match gave him his signature look that played a major role in the personality of his characters. In 1917, Totò started acting locally in Napoli's comedia dell'arte and wrote poetry in his dialect. In the early '20s, he headed to Rome. Upon his arrival in the Eternal City, he enjoyed performing i theaters working in "avanspettacolo," a vaudeville show that combined music, ballet and comedy. He mastered the genre and in the '30s, foun