Skip to main content

Interview: Cristina Scabbia of Italian Heavy Metal Band- Lacuna Coil

Photo by Jeremy Saffer (http://store.jeremysaffer.com/collections/tenthirtyoneinc)
Lacuna Coil is a heavy metal band whose unique sound and creative music videos have catapulted them to international stardom. The band consists of Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro on vocals, Marco Coti Zelati on bass, Cristiano Migliore and Marco 'Maus' Biazzi on guitars and Cristiano 'CriZ' Mozzati on drums.   

All members hail from Milan and bring to the table their own signature talent. A few years ago, the internet buzz about Lacuna Coil's music videos prompted me to check them out on YouTube. I've been hooked ever since. Their videos are creative vignettes shot all over the world, directed by cutting edge filmmakers in Europe and the United States.  Although Lacuna coil is considered a heavy metal band, the unique melodies in their songs are rarely found in traditional heavy metal. 

The range of the band is also something you rarely see in this genre of music. This is especially apparent in their songs "Heaven's a Lie" and "I Like It". The first is just a great hard rock song, and the video is mesmerizing to watch. It was shot in Sweden and features a gothic-like interior, which acts as the perfect backdrop for the intensity of the song. "I Like It" which is featured on their album, "Shallow Life" is a fun, lighter song, which showcases the band's more playful side. The video was shot in Kansas City and utilizes the members' acting talents as they take on a whole host of characters. 

I talked with lead vocalist Cristina Scabbia about the band's beginnings, those infamous music videos and a possible second career as a leading lady on the big screen. 

When did you join the band?
I met Andrea and Marco (Coti Zelati), the first original members in 1994. They wanted to produce a promo tape to send to some different record labels. They knew that I enjoyed singing even though I wasn't in a band. They asked me to do some choruses. They liked the result and asked me to stay. 

Catching up with Lacuna Coil on the band's U.S. tour
What is your musical background? Has your singing been influenced by other artists?
I listened to a little bit of everything because I was the last one of four brothers and sisters. My older brother was listening to Genesis and Pink Floyd. My other brother was listening to punk and hip-hop and my sister was listening to traditional Italian music. Metal was not that present back then. As far as influences, there are so many artists that I like but in general, I always liked R&B singers because their voices are really warm and they have a lot of feeling when they sing.  When I was younger, I admired Madonna. I think that I got something from her spirit. I like the fact that she changes all the time and is not afraid of experimenting with different styles. That is something I really love because I think you have to evolve as a musician. Of course, you shouldn't regret anything you did in the past but it's normal that you add something new. It's really important to have an open mind. 

Tell me about your videos. They are very creative and dramatic. What is the process of making a video? 
Thank you, our videos have been very dramatic, but we did something completely different with our video for the song "I Like It" and made it funny. Our process for making a video really depends on the song but first we have to decide who will be the director. We always love to be really involved with our videos. That's why we pick out the clothes, for example, and decide on the storyline. 
Watch the video for "I Like It"..


What do you do to prepare for the videos?  Have you taken acting lessons?
No, not at all. I think that every band takes a different approach to music and to the performing side. Of course the technique is really important because you have to play a proper show and you have to play good. You also have to offer a visual side which is done by your attitude onstage and how you can act in videos. We always have a lot of fun whether it's playing live or making videos. 

Do you have any plans to act professionally? 
I would love to try and act just for fun, for something different. It would be great to play a little cameo in a movie. I don't consider myself an actress yet, though. So far, I'm just a singer. I've actually been asked to act but now I'm completely focused on Lacuna Coil. I would love to do it when I have some free time. I'd love to explore acting. 

How does the band write songs?
It usually starts from the idea of a riff and most of the time Marc is the main composer of the music but every member of the band gives different ideas. For example, Andrea and I are responsible for vocal lines and lyrics. Then Cris can write a part of a guitar. Let's say that Marc is the coordinator of everything. He writes a lot of stuff but he also puts together everybody's ideas. Then we go to the practice room to add stuff or to take away stuff. So until we're actually in the recording studio, nothing is really certain because we change a lot.

Tell me about your experience with Film Director/Musician Franco Battiato.
I love the man. He's really a gentleman. I got an email from his management saying that he wanted to work with me and I thought it was a joke because our types of music are completely different. I wasn't even aware that he knew of me. I accepted immediately because I have a huge respect for him. He's one of the few Italian artists who took Italian music to another level. It's something that is just him. No one can be compared to him. So I accepted immediately and recorded my parts. I was in America, so he sent all the music files to me and I recorded them in Los Angeles and then when I went back to Italy, he invited me to the concert and they made a DVD. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had. 
Watch Cristina Scabbia and Franco Battiato perform "I'm That"..
You've been spending a lot of time in American lately. What do you think of the Italian Americans here?
I love the fact that they're so proud. I love it! We don't always get this kind of pride in Italy, so I'm really happy to see it here. Everyone we meet who is even half Italian is like "I'm Italian! I'm Italian!"  So I say, "Oh can you speak Italian?" And they say "No but I want to because my grandmother spoke Italian!"  They're really, really proud and I love it. I absolutely love it!

Lacuna Coil is currently on tour in the United States. For tour dates and more information on the band, check out their website at www.lacunacoil.it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anna Foglietta: Actress and Activist with Old School Elegance

One look at actress Anna Foglietta in her any of her roles, and the Golden Age of Italian cinema comes to mind. Among Italy’s most sought-after actresses today, Foglietta brings to the table a classic eloquence of yesterday while representing Italy’s modern woman. Born in Rome in 1979, Foglietta began her career in 2005 with a role in the RAI television series La squadra . Her character Agent Anna De Luca had a two-year run on the series as she was transitioning to cinema with Paolo Virzì’s 2006 ensemble project 4-4-2- Il gioco più bello del mondo . Since then, she has become one of Italy’s most diverse actresses, transforming herself into interesting, layered characters for comedies and dramas alike. Aside from a small part in Anton Corbijn’s 2010 film The American starring George Clooney, Foglietta’s work began reaching mainstream American audiences in 2015. As Elisa in Edoardo Leo’s 2015 comedy Noi e la Giulia , Foglietta showed her funny side playing a goofball pregn

The Life and Work of Monica Bellucci

Monica Bellucci as Malèna Born in Umbria in 1964, Monica Bellucci is one of the most recognizable faces of international cinema. But she didn't always have her sights set on the spotlight. She went to college to study law and modeled to pay her tuition. Her success in the fashion world coupled with the offers that were pouring in to appear on the big screen eventually took over, changing her fate. Bellucci made her on-screen debut in the 1990 television movie, " Vita coi figli." Just two years later, she scored her first American role in Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula."   In addition to her native language, she speaks fluent English and French, which has made for a smooth transition from Italian to international cinema. Stateside, she has acted in blockbusters such as "The Matrix-Reloaded,"     " The Passion of the Christ" and " The Sorcerer's Apprentice." She has also appeared in several French films, a

Pasolini's Playground of Roman Ruins

Anna Magnani in a scene from "Mamma Roma" Pier Paolo Pasolini’s 1962 “Mamma Roma” starring Anna Magnani , follows the title character, a Roman prostitute determined to change her life and give her son the opportunities she never had. She seizes the opportunity to leave her life on the streets behind when her pimp (Franco Citti) gets married and frees her from his possession. Mamma then goes to the small provincial town of Guidonia to fetch her son, Ettore (Ettore Garofolo), and bring him to Rome to embark on their new life together. She buys a pushcart, finds an apartment in a nice neighborhood, and uses her connections to secure him a job in a restaurant. However, Ettore gets mixed up with boys who are petty thieves and is negatively influenced by them. At the same time, Mamma Roma’s pimp resurfaces and sends her back to the streets. When Ettore learns about his mother’s prostitution, he goes astray and wholeheartedly joins in on the petty crimes of the boys. One day, while

Stefano Natale- the Charismatic Muse behind Carlo Verdone's Iconic Characters

The beauty of Italian cinema lies in the diversity of its genres and styles. Although the ’80s have received its share of criticism for its less-than-profound output, it was the decade in which contemporary maestro Carlo Verdone emerged as a creative young director and actor. The characters he brought to life during those years became permanent fixtures in Roman pop culture. Films like “Un sacco bello,” “Bianco, rosso e Verdone,” and “Borotalco” gave birth to the iconic Mimmo, Leo and Sora Lella.   Enter Stefano Natale, the real-life muse behind Leo and Mimmo. Natale was the subject of a documentary presented at the 2015 Festa del Cinema in Rome. One of four protagonists in Luca Ferrari’s “Showbiz,” he is a soft-spoken gentle giant who recalls his life with Verdone and the creation of his characters in a nostalgic, affectionate manner. “Verdone and I grew up together in the same building near Ponte Sisto,” Natale recalls. “Our grandmothers were cousins, and for 30 years we saw each o

Nicoletta Braschi and Roberto Benigni.. What cinema dreams are made of

The Toronto International Film Festival is wrapping up its retrospective of the cinematic collaboration of husband and wife team, Nicoletta Braschi and Roberto Benigni. Over the last few days, the couple have participated in discussions, Q & A sessions and have introduced several of their films. Today, I attended a screening of "La voce della luna" (The voice of the moon). It was  Federico Fellini's last film and is a wonderful tribute to the director's signature poetic madness. The film gave Benigni the opportunity to team up with fellow beloved comic, Paolo Villaggio, and the two created a truly unforgettable adventure. Today's screening began with an introduction by Benigni. The moments leading up to his introduction were noticeably serious and somewhat tense. Benigni's publicist and TIFF security staunchly guarded his privacy. There was no interaction and no photos were allowed. Guided by his entourage, he walked quickly from the Green Room to th