Skip to main content

A Conversation with Actor- Luca Calvani from Warner Bros. Upcoming Release "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

The cast and filmmakers of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. in Rome 
A few years ago, I interviewed actor, Luca Calvani on the occasion of his U.S. release, When in Rome. Today, we are revisiting our conversation as he is promoting his much anticipated spy thriller, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Directed by Guy Ritchie, the all-star cast includes Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer, Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Debicki, Jared Harris, and Hugh Grant. Based on the television series by Sam Rolfe, the story is set in the 1960's and follows CIA agent Napoleon Solo and KGB operative Illya Kuryakin as they participate in a joint mission against a mysterious criminal organization, which is working to proliferate nuclear weapons. The U.S. release date is set for August 14, but the cast recently did some press for the film in the Eternal City, where much of it was shot.

Luca Calvani

Born in Tuscany, Calvani has traveled the world following his career. He began working as a model in the 1990's before studying acting. That chapter of his career has lead him to both the big and small screen. He's worked with many top Italian directors including  Davide Marengo, Riccardo Milani and Ferzan Ozpetek, and even appeared on the hit HBO show, Sex & the City and the CBS soap opera, As the World Turns.  During our interview, we talked about the early days of his career in New York City, his experience working on both sides of the Atlantic and his role in Disney's When in Rome.

How did you get into acting?
When I first moved to New York in the 90s, I worked in the textile business and I also modeled. After four years, a friend of mine, Justin Chambers, who went on to Grey’s Anatomy, suggested that I take an acting class. I was already curious about acting. The town I come from in Italy doesn’t offer much in terms of acting, but I did work a bit in theater and I was in school plays. I never thought that I could make a career out of acting, though.

You played the role of Dante Grimaldi on the soap opera, As the World Turns. Tell me about that experience. Did you enjoy working on a soap opera?                                                                  
It was a great experience to work on a daily basis!  I thought, ‘Wow I can actually do this for a living.’ I was also doing some guest appearances on Sex & The City around that time. On As the World Turns, I played a villain, which meant that I had to observe other actors because there is a certain way of playing this kind of role. There are tricks of the trade that you have to learn. I worked on the show from May – September of 2001. Then I moved to Los Angeles for a while.

What was it like to work with Ferzan Ozpetek on his 2001 film, Le fate ignoranti?         
Ozpetek is a great director, a genius. It was an intense experience for me because I was just starting out. It was my first movie and I was working with this big ensemble cast of very established actors, so at times I felt a little lost and a little lonesome.

How does the experience of working on an Italian film differ from that of working on an American film?                                                                                        
Well now I’ve been working for a while in Italy, so people know me there and they have an opinion about me. I am not so known to American audiences, so I find it liberating not to be recognizable. The environment when working on an American film is much more relaxed and professional. There’s also such a wide range of characters to play in America, so many different genres of films. I do my audition tapes in Italy and send them via internet, so when I go to the studio, my camera guys are excited to see what kind of audition we’ll be doing that day. When I auditioned for the movie, Surrogate, I was thinking how I could be robotic. During the When in Rome shoot, we just had so much fun. I worked with some big caliber actors on that film, and they always made feel comfortable. It seemed like I had always worked with them. We went out to dinner every night together and just laughed and had such a great time. When we were shooting the Italy scenes, it was like a big road trip. American productions are like a big machine, very hands on at every level from production to publicity. In Italy, people tend to keep to themselves.

Which brings me to my next question about When in Rome. Tell me about your character in that film.                                                                                                
I play an Italian guy that moved to America and fell in love with an American girl. We get engaged and decide to get married in Rome, so we take our friends and family there for the wedding. When I sent my audition tape, I actually prepared two types of characters, one who was more like me, just an average guy, and the other, who was more of the stereotypical Italian "Guido".

Speaking of that “Guido” character, there has recently been some controversy with an MTV show here in the United States with their portrayal of Italian Americans. How do you feel about the stereotype that many Mafia films and television shows in the U.S. portray?                                  
I think that The Sopranos crystallized the portrayal of Italian Americans in the U.S. and people should take distance. MTV is trying to sell commercials, and in Reality TV, nothing sells better than a good fight. It’s a bad judgment call made by the producers, the studios and the kids on the show. Those types of shows  send a wrong message and should be taken with a grain of salt.

When In Rome is your second American release in a year. Now that you’re working more and more outside of Italy, are there any directors that you’d like to work with in the future?                                                                                        
Oh, there are so many. I really like Sam Mendez. He is a brilliant director. I loved his film, Away We Go. It was beautiful and delicate. I’d also like to work with Wes Anderson. He’s one of my favorite directors. He belongs to that independent school of filmmaking. There are many others, too. So, I’m really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.


The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is scheduled for release on August 14. In the meantime, check out the trailer-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Days - 7 Women: Interview with Actress Sabrina Impacciatore

  Photo by Rossella Vetrano On Day 6 of our series, 7 Days - 7 Women, in which we are profiling seven strong, talented women working as filmmakers, writers or visual artists, we talk with actress Sabrina Impacciatore about the diversity of her roles. Whether she's playing a devoted mother trying to protect her child, Jesus Christ's "Veronica" in Mel Gibson's controversial film, "Passion of the Christ" or a young woman coming of age, Impacciatore escapes into the life and mind of each character she takes on, sometimes so deeply that she believes she is actually them.   It's a fine line between reality and fiction, but she treads it carefully and anyone watching her performance benefits from her emotional connection to the character that she becomes. I spoke with Impacciatore at the 2010 Open Roads: New Italian Film series in New York City. We talked about her lifelong dream of becoming an actress. She also gave me some insight into the diff

A Conversation with Taylor Taglianetti, Founder of NOIAFT

A new platform has recently been launched that promotes the work of Italian Americans in film and television. The brains behind the initiative is a young, passionate woman who is taking the support that she received early on in her journey and paying it forward. With origins in Basilicata and  Campania , Taylor Taglianetti is a proud Italian American from Brooklyn, New York. She is currently a senior at NYU Tisch School of the Arts, graduating in January 2020. She is majoring in Film and Television and minoring in the Business of Entertainment, Media and Technology.  Taglianetti  aspires to be a feature film producer and bring great stories to the big screen. In addition to running NOIAFT, she is currently a Development Intern with Silver Pictures, the production company that produced the Lethal Weapon and The Matrix series. Last summer, she was a development intern with Maven Pictures, the Academy-Award winning production company behind Still Alice and The Kids Are All Right . 

A Conversation With the Man Who Played Pasolini's Christ

There have been countless cinematic interpretations of the books of the Bible, but few have stood the test of time. One that qualifies as a classic is Pier Paolo Pasolini’s 1964 “Il Vangolo secondo Matteo” (The Gospel According to St. Matthew). Considered by the Vatican to be among the best film adaptations of one of the Gospels, Pasolini’s 1964 film was shot in the regions of Calabria, Puglia and Basilicata. In an interview with RAI television while on location in Matera, Pasolini talked about the reasons for shooting there. “I chose two or three places in Basilicata. One is Barile, a town of Albanians. I needed a place for Bethlehem. Another location is Matera because it reminded me of Jerusalem,” he explained. Pasolini’s interpretation of St. Matthews’s Gospel is pure, with no added commentary. He said that he followed the Gospel word for word without adding a single syllable. He explained in the interview that his idea to make the film happened by coincidence. “In October of 19

Anna Foglietta: Actress and Activist with Old School Elegance

One look at actress Anna Foglietta in her any of her roles, and the Golden Age of Italian cinema comes to mind. Among Italy’s most sought-after actresses today, Foglietta brings to the table a classic eloquence of yesterday while representing Italy’s modern woman. Born in Rome in 1979, Foglietta began her career in 2005 with a role in the RAI television series La squadra . Her character Agent Anna De Luca had a two-year run on the series as she was transitioning to cinema with Paolo Virzì’s 2006 ensemble project 4-4-2- Il gioco più bello del mondo . Since then, she has become one of Italy’s most diverse actresses, transforming herself into interesting, layered characters for comedies and dramas alike. Aside from a small part in Anton Corbijn’s 2010 film The American starring George Clooney, Foglietta’s work began reaching mainstream American audiences in 2015. As Elisa in Edoardo Leo’s 2015 comedy Noi e la Giulia , Foglietta showed her funny side playing a goofball pregn

Michelangelo Frammartino's "Il buco" — Unearthing our past

When a team of speleologists descended 700 meters into the Bifurto Abyss in Cosenza, Calabria, in 1961, they discovered that the underground caverns were the third deepest in the world and the deepest in Europe. Italian filmmaker Michelangelo Frammartino retraces that mission six decades later with a cast of locals and their livestock in his latest documentary, “Il buco” (“The Hole”). Inspiration for the film came while he was on location shooting his 2007 documentary, “Le quattro volte” (“Four Times”). Officials in the Pollino mountains, which stretch between Calabria and Basilicata, showed him what appeared to be just another sinkhole. Frammartino failed to understand their enthusiasm until they tossed a large stone into the void. It disappeared without making a sound. He was so overcome by the experience and the eerie landscape, he was haunted for years, compelling him to make his current film, one of many rooted in nature. “I was born in Milan, but my family is from Calabria. My pa